Dedicated Merrillville Vehicle Accident Attorneys Make a Difference
Serving clients throughout Portage, Valparaiso, Crown Point, Hammond, Lake County and Porter County
After an auto accident in Indiana or Illinois, it is important to work with a skilled attorney you can trust to pursue compensation from insurance companies and responsible parties. At Schlyer & Associates, P.C., our Lake County attorneys are dedicated to helping people throughout the region through our hard work and perseverance. We get to know our clients and deliver full-service personal injury representation that gives them the best chance at a positive outcome. When you need aggressive trial lawyers on your side, turn to our firm.
The different types of motor vehicle accidents
In 2011, nearly 200,000 collisions occurred in the state of Indiana. These accidents may take a variety of forms, but the following are the most common:
- Car accidents: A majority of car accidents occur within five miles of a driver’s home. One or more cars can be involved in a crash, and speed plays a major role in nearly ten percent of all crashes. Accidents can be rear-end collisions, side-impact collisions (also known as T-bone or broadside collisions), head-on collisions, vehicle rollovers, sideswipe collisions, single-car accidents or multivehicle pileups.
- Trucking accidents: Trucking accidents involve one or more commercial vehicles, such as semi-trucks, 18-wheelers and other heavy trucks. Because of these vehicles’ sheer size and weight, the accidents typically have serious results. Speeding, distracted driving, driver fatigue and improper loading often contribute to truck accidents.
- Bicycle accidents: These accidents are often a result of drivers’ lack of caution when sharing the road with bicyclists. While it’s important to note that cyclists must obey the same traffic laws as other vehicles, most bike accidents occur when a motorist fails to check blind spots before switching lanes, makes a right turn in front of an approaching cyclist, fails to stop at a stop sign/traffic light or operates a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Motorcycle accidents: Motorcycle riders are at a significant disadvantage in a collision with another vehicle. Although many fatalities in motorcycle accidents occur when the rider’s head is unprotected, car and truck drivers often don’t properly yield to motorcycles. We have firsthand knowledge of motorcycle safety as our team includes an avid biker.
- Moped accidents: Many people ride mopeds and scooters during the warmer months. However, the small size of these vehicles makes it difficult for other drivers to see them, which results in serious collisions.
- Aircraft accidents: Statistically, flying is the safest form of travel. However when an aviation accident does occur, the resulting injuries can be very serious. Contributing factors to aircraft accidents include faulty equipment, pilot error, FAA regulation violations and air traffic controller error. Inclement weather is also at fault in many cases. Our team includes an experienced pilot and aircraft mechanic which provides an invaluable resource to your representation.
Collaborative team provides extensive service
Our firm includes in-house medical staff, a pilot and motorcycle enthusiast. Our talented and knowledgeable staff speaks with you in an exceptionally-welcoming environment. Even Jillian, our onsite therapy dog, is part of our team. Together we advocate for your legal needs combining medical expertise with personal interest and compassion.
Work with a full-service Indiana motor vehicle accidents law firm
If you need reliable legal assistance after an auto accident in Indiana or Illinois, speak with a dedicated attorney at Schlyer & Associates, P.C. Our office is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST, with flexible hours available by appointment. You pay no attorney fees unless you recover damages. For a free initial consultation, call 219-757-0225 or contact us online.