Seasoned Merrillville Attorneys for Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Standing up for your rights in Portage, Valparaiso, Crown Point, Hammond, Lake County, Porter County and the surrounding areas
Although motorcyclists have the same legal rights as other drivers on the roads and highways of Indiana and Illinois, their lack of protection compared to other vehicle operators leaves them highly vulnerable if an accident occurs. The aggressive trial lawyers at Schlyer & Associates, P.C. are passionate about helping injured motorcycle riders in Merrillville and across the region and leverage our experience and skill to make a real difference for clients. We’re motorcycle riders ourselves, so we know firsthand the issues and stigmas riders face on a daily basis. If you could use the assistance of a dedicated personal injury lawyer after your motorcycle accident, don’t hesitate to turn to us.
Many types of motorcycle accidents
Motorcycle accidents are particularly dangerous because the restraints and steel cage protecting drivers of other vehicles are nonexistent. Additionally, the state of Indiana does not require motorcyclists to wear helmets. The most common types of motorcycle crashes in our state are:
- Rear-ending: These collisions occur when another vehicle strikes a motorcycle from behind. Even low-impact rear-end accidents at low speeds can be dangerous, as the cyclist may be forced into oncoming traffic.
- Single-bike accidents: Commonly referred to as “wiping out,” these crashes tend to be the direct result of faulty equipment or hazards on the road. The injured person may seek damages from parts manufacturers, the agency in charge of road maintenance and any other negligent parties.
- Failure to yield: Drivers of other vehicles may fail to notice a motorcyclist nearby and change lanes without checking their blind spots, or they may make a turn at an intersection without accounting for an approaching motorcyclist.
Our team includes bike enthusiasts who have an understanding of the challenges facing motorcyclists who want safe roadways.
What causes these crashes?
While motorcycle accidents are no more likely to occur than other types of auto accidents, there are a number of factors that typically contribute to these crashes, including:
- Cars making left turns: A significant percentage of motorcycle accidents occur when a car driver strikes a motorcycle passing straight through an intersection.
- Distracted drivers: Generally motorcyclists concentrate on one thing: the road. Car drivers may have multiple distractions, such as cell phones, GPS devices or children arguing in the backseat or they may be multitasking and not see a motorcycle until it is too late.
- Road hazards: Road hazards such as potholes or debris may result in a serious accident. There may be a number of parties at fault for these hazards, including other drivers, property owners or government agencies. A motorcycle accident attorney can help you take action.
Speak with a dedicated Lake County motorcycle accident lawyer today
For a free initial consultation with a skilled personal injury attorney, call Schlyer & Associates, P.C. at 219-757-0225 or contact us online. You pay no attorney fees unless your case is successful, and our office is conveniently in Merrillville, less than an hour from Chicago. We’re open during normal business hours, but we can meet with you after hours or on weekends if needed.