Experienced Construction Accident Attorneys in Merrillville, Indiana
Aggressive trial lawyers serving Hammond, Portage, Crown Point, Porter County and Lake County
Construction sites are dangerous places, and injuries can be unavoidable. If you or a loved one has been injured in a construction accident, speak with the dedicated Merrillville injury lawyers at Schlyer & Associates, P.C. Our team serves clients throughout northern Indiana and Illinois, leveraging our years of experience to provide skilled representation and personal service. We truly get to know you, your family and your needs — always staying true to our core beliefs of hard work, honesty and loyalty to our clients. When you need a respected personal injury attorney in Lake County, you can count on our firm.
The main types of construction accidents
Accidents on construction sites are fairly common, and the people who work in this industry may be faced with a variety of injuries or illnesses related to their jobs. The following are some of the most common causes of construction accidents in Indiana and Illinois:
- Falling debris or objects: Many construction sites involve professionals working from various heights, which means tools, equipment and other items may fall and strike others below. Even with safety equipment like hardhats, a serious personal injury may result.
- Slips and falls: Construction workers often must operate in cluttered environments, increasing the risk for slip and fall accidents. Supervisors need to be sure that sites are reasonably safe for workers.
- Falls from heights: In 2012, 36 percent of total deaths in the construction industry were a result of a fall. Employers should provide the proper safety equipment for these workers, including harnesses, hardhats and protective barriers.
- Overexertion: Construction jobs require a great deal of physical activity, including lifting, pushing, throwing and carrying heavy objects. The fatigue associated with this physical activity can result in overexertion, particularly in hot weather.
- Fires and explosions: Often, construction sites involve the installation of gas piping, which many result in a fire or explosion. Unfinished piping, gas leaks and incomplete electrical systems are potential hazards.
- Electrocutions: Much like gas piping, electrical wiring is a key component in many construction projects. Unfinished wiring or electrical systems can lead to electrocution or shock.
- Trench collapses: For many construction projects, it’s necessary to dig trenches for the foundation, electrical wiring, gas lines and other structural elements. A collapsing trench can result in serious job injuries.
Compassionate attorneys who fight persistently for you
After a serious construction injury, you need a team with medical knowledge and the ability to fight on your behalf in court. Our office has a warm and welcoming atmosphere – but our courtroom demeanor is serious and strong. We get to know you and fight vigorously on your behalf because our clients are like our family.
Meet with a dedicated Porter County construction accident lawyer
If you or a loved one has been injured in a construction accident, work with Schlyer & Associates, P.C. in Merrillville today. Our office is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST, with after-hours appointments available upon request. For a free consultation, call us at 219-757-0225 or contact us online.